Saturday, July 13, 2013

FOOTPRINTS ACROSS OUR LAND

A few years ago when planning my first painting journey into the north west I started to seek out information concerning the roles that  indigenous women played in the desert communities. I always was in awe of how indigenous people has survived in such harsh and what for most of us would see as inhospitable country. I did not find information about these women so easy to access, although  I have been slowly building a picture in my head through different means, meeting with indigenous artists, and taking in as many exhibitions of indigenous art as I could as each painting informs as well as reading.

I went into Magabala books whilst I was last in Broome and picked up a copy of Footprints Across Our Land a compilation of  has translated the stories told by senios Kukatja, Wangkajunga, and Ngarti women . based at Wiirimanu and Yaka Yaka communities. These women present their perspective on living in the desert, Tjukurroa (Dreaming) and their encounters with kariya ( white people) in the 1930's and 1940's.

The book is informtive on many levels and revealed the strength and capability of indigenous women with insights into the ways of providing and caring for their children and the older members of the group. The story reveal that roles extend well past the gathering of a diverse range of  bush tucker as women also hunted along side the men. It also reveals how men and women shared roles in taking care of new born infants. The foundation of the underlying community mentality is clear. Pulling together was the best survival strategy. The modern world could learn a great deal.
.
There are many quotes one could share but this one reveals how things have changed in one critical way:

" We were real skinny ones in bush - fast too. Any one can grab that kangaroo's tail, even the girls. Different food in the bush. We bin chase and kill animals when we were kids, we really quick. Bin get pussycat, wallaby, goanna, and little kangaroos. It all changed now. we dying form sugar...early too.  We bin have different training in bush, bin go without meat and food for one months. take a long time to die..." Lumu Nungurrayi.

I know I will read these stories again and again. My respect for the indigenous women of our country
has grown exponentially.

No comments: